Over the past few decades, physicians are reporting an increase in symptoms of toxicity in their patients from year to year. With symptoms raging from hormone imbalances and obesity to fatigue and memory loss, experts are beginning to look to the importance of detoxification for human health.
The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics released a statement regarding the presence of environmental toxins in the body, and the ways in which they are interfering with our reproductive health. A 2015 article in the NY Times discussed in detail the major risks that we all face due to the way that every day products are contaminating our bodies.
Dr. Sara Gottfried released a list of signs that your body is in need of a detox. She suggests that you tally how many of these signs you have exhibited in the last 3 months:
- White or yellow-coated tongue and/or bad breath
- Fluid retention and/or congested sinuses
- Increased belly or visceral fat
- Cravings and/or blood sugar issues
- Gallbladder issues, or the need to have the gallbladder removed
- Abdominal bloating
- Overheating/excess sweating
- Weight loss resistance
- Acne, rosacea, itchy skin
- Fatigue unrelieved by more sleep, especially in the morning
- Chemical sensitivity (you’re a lightweight when you drink alcohol, or smelling fragrances makes you anxious)
- Insomnia, especially early morning awakenings such as 1-4AM
Dr. Gottfried states if you should 4 or more of these signs, you are in need of a detox!
There are many different detox plans out there. Some last a day or two, while others can last a week. Each carries its own benefits, and selecting one that you believe you can stick to will help you to be successful in your efforts!
We have included a weekend detox plan, designed to optimize the function of your kidneys, intestines, lymph, lungs and liver. It is recommending that you complete this detox at least twice a year. Between detoxing you can continue to promote your optimal health by being more active, and drinking plenty of water.