- Stand straight keeping your palms together in front of your chest as in prayer position. This pose is called the Mountain Pose.
- Inhale, move into Standing Backward Bend, in which you arch your back with your hands stretched behind.
- Exhale as you bend forward to assume Forward Bend Pose, in which you place your hands on the floor by your feet.
- Keeping your palms firmly on the ground, inhale and stretch your right leg backwards without bending your knees. Tuck your toes in. Exhale.
- Inhale as you stretch your left leg backwards. Place the left foot closer to your right foot. This is called High Plank Pose, which works your core and reduces excess fat in the tummy.
- Exhale as you bend your elbows and lower your body closer to the ground. Your entire body will be now aligned in one line. This is Four-Limbed Staff Pose which tones your entire body.
- With the hips lifted, place your chin, chest and knees on the ground.
- Inhale, lift the upper body upwards straightening your hands and lifting your legs off the floor. Arch your back. You are now on your palms and the front sides of your feet. You are also in Upward Facing Dog Pose, which stretches the front side of your body.
- Inhale as you lift your body upwards straightening your hands and legs keeping the feet on the floor. Lift your hips high up so you now resemble an inverted ‘V’. Now you are in Downward Facing Dog Pose.
- Inhale and bring your right leg forward. Place the right foot on the inner side of your right palm.
- Exhale as your bring your left leg forward to place the left foot closer to your right foot. Stretch your knees straight and go into Standing Forward Bend.
- With inhalation, straighten your body and arch it back, bring your arms over your head as in Standing Backward Bend.
- Draw your hands down and bring your palms together in front of your chest as you straighten your body to release the pose.
Those with injury in back, hips or legs should refrain from practicing Sun Salutation.
Here are some tips to get the most out of your weight loss yoga workout:
- Practice only on empty stomach. While the ideal time would be in the early hours of morning, those who prefer to practice in the evening, should maintain a gap of four hours from intake of food.
- Keep the space ventilated so you enjoy fresh air.
- Avoid playing music during practice as the focus tends to shift from you to the music.
- Practice yoga the same time everyday so your body and mind stay fine tuned.